Sunday, June 29, 2008

Music 101

So I think my kids should get an early start at knowing great music. I've been compiling a list of those artists I think my kids should know. For instance when people become bigtime singers they always say,"Oh, we always used to listen to ......growing up" So here's my list. Let me know ones I missed.
Carol King
Stevie Wonder
Nina Simone
Dusty Springfield
Kansas - not my pick, fyi, thanks Les
James Taylor
Stevie Nicks/Fleetwood Mac - while brushing their teeth tonight Eden was sing "in the middle of my room I did not hear from you" and Aksel chimes in "Stand back, stand back." funny.

Gladys Night & the Pips
Nick Drake
Marvin Gaye
Righteous Brothers
Jackson Browne
Ella Fitzgerald
Etta James
Patsy Cline
Johnny Cash
Dolly Parton
Allison Kraus
Smokey Robinson
Prince
Sarah Mclachlan
Jeff Buckley
Mahalia Jackson
Bob Dylan

Most of these are vocally driven and stood some test of time. We have a 10 hour drive coming up in August so we will take the time to educate our kids on what good pop music sounds like so when they are teenagers they don't have to pretend they like something that is just bad music.

12 comments:

Josh H. said...

u2
the beatles
the beach boys - "pet sounds"
the who - "who's next"
pink floyd
led zepp
hendrix
the rolling stones - "let it bleed" and "sticky fingers"

let me be responsible for their rock and pop teachings. i will guide them in the ways of the force jeff.

Shannon said...

U2 The Beatles for sure

Neil Diamond.... Sweeeeet Caroline......

Shannon said...

Beach boys too...I wish they all could be California girls....Leslie don't forget where you come from :-)

Jeff Yoder said...

For sure Neil Diamond. I've never gotten in to the Beatles or the Beach Boys, but obviously they are iconic and I will add them to the list.

Shannon said...

Yes!!! What about Babs??

Jeff Yoder said...

Shan,
I just threw up a little in my throat. No Babs.

;)

JUAN said...

Edigar 309..................

Jeff Yoder said...

Ha, Funny.

How do you know Edigar 309...

I think I'll add
SinnerFiend
Belva's Diesel
Silage
Whisletoe
Buckaroo Bandits
and an obscure one, but a goodie:
The 400

J.B. said...

Great list. I would add:

The Kinks -- "The Kinks are the Village Green Preservation Society," "Muswell Hillbilies," "Lola vs. the Powerman"

Emmylou Harris - "Wrecking Ball"

Jeff Yoder said...

Leonard Cohen

Klein said...

Michael Jackson

Anonymous said...

what about the Steve Miller Band?
the Eagles?
I know. I'm old
-Grethe